Monday, April 18, 2011

Kick Astro

Every once in a while at Drive-In of the Dead I'm fortunate enough to be able to get the geek out and do something really cool. Well, last week I had one of those moments where my inner fan-boy came out when I had the opportunity to interview the legendary cult director Ted V. Mikels. For those of you not in the know, Ted is one of the last living directors from the original grindhouse era of films from the 1960's. Responsible for such films as: Astro-Zombies, The Girl In The Gold Boots, The Doll Squad, The Corpse Grinders, and more - Ted has been steadily producing low budget/high entertainment cult films for almost 50 years!

It would be a huge understatement to say that I was honored and thrilled to be able to interview someone I admire so much. What's even better is when you talk to the guy and realize that he's just as cool in person as what you imagined him to be. A perfect gentleman and a real professional through and through, Ted is from the old school of film and his love for the cult genre is infectious.

If you haven't checked out any films by Ted V. Mikels, I encourage you to stop by his website and stream them on your computer (for the very affordable price of $2.00 per movie). They're a blast from the past and a groovy reminder of why we love movies in the first place.

http://www.tedvmikels.com

No comments: