Friday, September 10, 2010

The Things Behind The Sun

For some reason I have to wait until the air turns colder and the leaves start to change before I break out one of my favorite albums of all time: Nick Drake's 'Pink Moon.'

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea - but there is something about this album that speaks to me. It's easy to think of Drake as 'The Patron Saint of the Depressed,' but he was such a beautiful person, inspired lyricist, and amazing guitar player. Yes, the album is melancholy - which I suppose is why I wait for all the leaves and flowers to start dying before I give it a spin each year - but it is also so much more.

A poignant glimpse into a troubled soul and a troubled mind, some may say that 'Bryter Layter' is Drake's masterpiece, but I disagree. 'Pink Moon' is a nearly flawless album, and yes, I listen to much more obvious things as Halloween approaches (Midnight Syndicate, etc.) but this particular album is more chilling than anything MS could conceive of.

Give it a listen and see if you agree.

http://www.brytermusic.com/


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Drake

No comments: