Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Old Dreedle Place


Whenever we go to visit 'Big Grandma and Grandpa' in Iowa (according to my daughter my parents are 'Little Grandma and Grandpa' because they live in a small house, and my wife's parents are 'Big Grandma and Grandpa' because they live in a big house), we always try to take a walk past the old Dreedle Place - otherwise affectionately known as The Spookhouse.

Do the Dreedles actually live there? No, not to my knowledge - the name is from a Halloween picture book my daughter has, but it seemed appropriate. My two year old son calls it the 'pookhouse!' If you look closely in the window you'll see why. As we stroll by we like to dare each other to get close - maybe even knock on the door or ring the bell. My fearless daughter has no qualms with marching right up there and confronting the Boogeyman. Me, I don't know. There's just something sinister about a house that leaves a frightened looking jack-o-lantern in the window all year long...

No comments: