Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Random Geekery

Okay - some random thoughts from a certified HALLOWEEN movie franchise geek. I love these movies (well, John Carpenter's original through HALLOWEEN 4 - with a soft spot for part 6), and often have completely random thoughts about the greatness of the early entries and how the later ones could have been improved upon. Here's one example of a random thought I had the other day:

This is actually a long running observation that I've had for many years now, related to the opening scene of the original 1981 version of HALLOWEEN II. You'll recall that film started with the oldie tune "Mr. Sandman" by The Chordettes (a song referenced again in HALLOWEEN H20.) Similarly, every time I hear the 1964 tune "A Summer Song" by Chad & Jeremy I always think now that's a song that should be used in a HALLOWEEN movie! Read the lyrics with Laurie Strode and Michael Myers in mind, giving the beautiful lyrics a slightly sinister undertone, and decide for yourself...

They say that all good things must end some day
Autumn leaves must fall
But don't you know that it hurts me so
To say goodbye to you
Wish you didn't have to go
No no no no

And when the rain
Beats against my window pane
I'll think of summer days again
And dream of you

They say that all good things must end some day
Autumn leaves must fall
But don't you know that it hurts me so
To say goodbye to you
Wish you didn't have to go
No no no no

And when the rain
Beats against my window pane
I'll think of summer days again
And dream of you
And dream of you


Rob Zombie made a habit of recycling oldie standards in his craptacular HALLOWEEN movies, alas, this one wasn't one of them - but I would have loved to hear this in HALLOWEEN H20 as it seems to fit the vibe of that film perfectly (but as we know, that film had its own recycled soundtrack).

To listen, click below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D2XD341xHo

No comments: