Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Halloween in Anoka

I've always wanted to take a trip up to Anoka, MN to check out the self proclaimed 'Halloween Capital of the World.' It's quite a trek from the SE portion of the state where I live, and since the festivities only run through the month of October, that pretty much guarantees that I will never see it (at least until my kids are fully grown and out of the house!) Still, I always thought that it's a town I should live in, or, at the very least, visit once in my lifetime.

It seems like the town of Anoka really 'gets it' when it comes to Halloween - unlike most around here where I live. If you're lucky, you'll see the occasional home haunter putting out a modest display of store-bought stuff, but no one seems to really bother with Halloween much anymore - at least not like how I remember from when I was a kid. People that go all out with homemade props and lighting and music and fog are definitely the exception, and not the rule. For awhile it seemed that there was a brief resurgence of Halloween enthusiasm, but I think with the economy in the tank and gas prices sky high, people just don't feel like being mischievous and having a bit of devilish fun.

http://www.anokahalloween.com/

Well - the crummy economy and getting raked over the coals by the oil companies won't stop the good people of Anoka. If you're in that neck of the woods, stop by and check it out, and then let me know what you thought of the 'Halloween Capital of the World.'

No comments: