Friday, August 1, 2008

Taking Quill To Paper


August 1st – the traditional start-date for our annual Halloween poem. I had tossed about a few ideas over the past couple of days for this year's poem, but I've had a hard time trying to force the poem into our 'kinda-sorta' theme. It's like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole - you can get it to fit if you pound hard enough, but it ain't easy.

Finally, after reading some Poe (that grand master of the macabre) in order to divine some inspiration, I struck upon a verse of his that planted the seed for this year's poem. As is always the case with our Halloween poem, once I got rolling, the poem seemed to write itself. It's a very rough draft and will need considerable re-working, but I'm pleased with it thus far and think it's not too apparent that I've forced it around a theme.

After a few more weeks of re-writes, I think it should be good enough to begin construction, which goes hand-in-hand with the invites. As for the invitations, my beautiful wife has assured me that this year's will be suitably difficult and time-consuming... so that's a relief! We wouldn't want an easy invite to put together forty times, now would we?

In other news - tomorrow I plan on scrounging up some wood from a nearby construction site to use for my graveyard fence-posts. Despite the oppressive heat that is forecast for this weekend, I hope to be able to at least get a good start on these. But with two kids in tow, I have to be realistic. Finding time between poopy diapers, naps, snacks, lunch, and tantrums can be somewhat difficult. Wish me luck.

Quoth the raven – 'nevermore!'

No comments: