Thursday, October 9, 2008

Jai Guru Deva Om

Today marks what would have been the 68th birthday of musician and peace activist, John Lennon. Our son was named after another John that I admire above all – my father – but I like to kid my wife that Lucas John was really named after the former Beatle. Unfortunately, I think our soon-to-be five-year-old daughter, and burgeoning Beatlemaniac, really believes me (although if you ask her she will tell you she was named after the album Abbey Road).

After eight tumultuous years of corruption, violence and war in our country, I like to think that a real change is coming in which peace and prosperity might actually be at hand. It is too soon to tell, as the presidential election is still a month away, but John's lyrics give us hope that justice will prevail, peace is possible, and love is always the answer.

Happy birthday, John. We're gonna have a good time.

No comments: