Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Progress Report

A quick update on the progress of Zahn Manor. This past weekend I had the main goal of finishing up my costume, so on Sunday I had a costume fitting and ended up making a few minor - and one major - adjustments. I am still very pleased with the end result, even if it is not exactly what I originally had in mind. The one thing I always have to consider is the fact that we will have 30+ people in our house for our party (and possibly upwards of 50!), so my costume each year has to take being a host into consideration. You have to be able to mingle with the guests, down a few Pumpkin Spice Ales, and grab a bite to eat – all while looking as scary as possible. My costume this year will push the limits of being a polite host, but it's going to look so killer...

The inside of the house is nearing completion. We put up as many decorations as we are able, but we always have to take my wife's daycare business into consideration. There is the scare factor, true, but we must also consider the little hands that will grab, rip, tear, pull, yank, throw, and pretty much destroy anything they can get their hands on. This is through no fault of their own – children have an inherent need to learn, and touching and feeling things is a large part of that. So some decorations must wait until the very last minute, which means Thursday night and/or all day Friday, on into Saturday morning. It makes for a whirlwind of activity just before the party, but we are pretty much old hands at this, so it's not too big of a deal. I should also add that my co-worker and incredibly-talented artist friend, Katie Aguado, painted a giant prop for the party that turned out fabulous! It's one of those things that should probably have waited to be hung up, but it is so darn cool that it just had to take its place of honor in the center of our main living room wall. Thanks, Katie – I owe you a Pumpkin Spice Cappucinio!

Our daughter's costume came in the mail last week, and it is amazing! She is going bonkers having to wait to wear it – and who can blame her? I wish it fit me! Her Aunt Susan sewed it for her - as she does every year - and she has outdone herself once again. Thanks, Susan! Her little brother, Chunk, kind of got the shaft this year, as we simply ran out of time to have something custom made. He got a mail-order costume, but at least he will be who we wanted him to be, and not just wear a sheet with two eye-holes cut into it. I still have no idea what my wife is going to be. Can you imagine? I've never known her to keep a secret this long...

No comments: