Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Equal Night, or, Points In Time & Space


The first day of fall.

For me, this usually translates into: "My God! I'm running out of time!" This year is no different - too many projects, not enough time. My main goal at the moment is to finish up with our Halloween poems and invites, which have been pushed onto the back burner for far too long. This is also a long-standing fall tradition, which usually requires pulling an all-nighter to finish on time.

And yet, there is a magic in the air which inspires the wicked heart. As I read the article on the internets today regarding the first day of autumn I came across this passage which seems steeped in mystery and ripe for inspiration as I scramble to finish our poems on time:

"...Equinoxes, which mark the onset of spring and autumn, and solstices, which mark when summer and winter begin, are points in time and space that mark a transition in our planet's annual trip around the sun.

At each equinox, the sun crosses the Earth's equator, making night and day of approximately equal length on most of the planet (from the Latin, equinox means "equal night"). At the equator, the sun is directly overhead at noon on either equinox..."


Let the all-nighter begin.

No comments: