Monday, September 14, 2009

Haunted Bookshelf


A little preview of one of the bigger projects I've got going for Halloween this year. Each year I like to pick one big project and try to get it done at all costs (which can sometimes be expensive!) This year's project is 'The Haunted Bookshelf.' Taken off the Monster List website, this is one has A LOT of working parts. Pictured above are my line-up of books; the whole lot bought from Goodwill for $2.00. I spent an afternoon tearing their guts out with an exacto knife, and then another day aging them and putting on their titles - accomplished with a little help from my wife's scrapbooking supplies...

For 'The Haunted Bookshelf' I've enlisted the aid of my father-in-law, as the inner workings of this thing are a little too complex for my duct-tape and hot glue capabilities. I've seen a test run of this bad boy and it looks incredible. He's building a containing box right now - and I can't wait to see the whole thing operational. This is one of those special projects, much like our 'Pepper's Ghost' from a couple of years ago, that leaves guests at our Halloween party saying: "How did you do that?"

No comments: