Friday, November 18, 2011

Poe Log

While it's always kind of sad to see the sun set on another haunting season, there is one aspect of it that I will not miss at all: public speaking! While I sincerely appreciated each and every opportunity I was given to speak at many fine locations in the area about my book: MODERN POE: VOL I - and met many gracious and enthusiastic supporters along the way - my month of lectures solidified my belief that there is a reason I am a writer - public oration simply is not my strongest asset.

Case in point: THE RAVEN. I have recited Edgar Allan Poe's classic poem more times than I can count. I have had it memorized for years now and, in the comfort of my own home, can recite it with little difficulty. However - standing before a room full of strangers (or worse, people that you actually know!) the once familiar poem suddenly becomes a vague, hazy memory of something that I should know but now can't quite recall (I also got to the point where I dreaded reciting the lengthy piece, sometimes opting to go with other poems of Poe's like THE CONQUEROR WORM, or THE BELLS).

Would I do it all over again? Definitely. Would I do it now if I was asked to deliver a lecture? Unquestionably. As I said, I am tremendously grateful for each an every opportunity I am given, but I definitely have a renewed respect for people who can stand up in front of an audience on a regular basis and deliver interesting, thought-provoking lectures. It's not as easy as it looks!

Still haven't ordered your copy? There's still plenty of time to grab a copy for a unique Christmas gift! Simply visit the MODERN POE e-store and pick up your copy today! Visit: https://www.createspace.com/3610670

No comments: