Sunday, May 30, 2010

Double Feature


Tonight's the big night. After 26 years I will be returning to a drive-in theatre - the Valle in Newton, IA. I'm taking my kids (ages 6 and 3) for their first drive-in experience as well. The last two movies I can remember seeing at a drive-in were: 'Top Secret!' starring Val Kilmer, and 'Rambo: First Blood Part 2' starring Sylvester Stallone (which was actually watched without sound atop the high school football bleachers). This is a seminal moment for me - something I've longed to do - even as I've watched drive-ins slowly vanish one by one from the midwestern landscape. The movies tonight are 'Shrek Forever After' and 'Iron Man 2.' Not high on my list of must-see movies, but good enough to provide me an opportunity to re-live a magical part of my youth, and hopefully get some great pictures and information in the process.

No comments: