Thursday, May 6, 2010

Troubled Art


The truly beautiful work of Minnesota artist Katie Rose Aguado. I'm the proud owner of several of her pieces, the most recent a charming graphite portrait of Edgar Allan Poe, which I received for my birthday yesterday. The jack 'o lantern is an oil painting she did for us last October, based upon a photograph I took several years prior. The oil portrait of Poe, which has a permanent place of honor on our fireplace mantle-shelf, was a trade I did with Ms. Aguado - two custom-made gravestones for one ridiculously enchanting painting. I still feel like I owe her for that one! For more information, or to buy your own fabulous piece of art, follow this link...

http://www.mnartists.org/artistHome.do?rid=70778




As a thing of art nothing could be more admirable than the painting itself. But it could have been neither the execution of the work, nor the immortal beauty of the countenance, which had so suddenly and so vehemently moved me...Thinking earnestly upon these points, I remained, for an hour perhaps, half sitting, half reclining, with my vision riveted upon the portrait. At length, satisfied with the true secret of its effect, I fell back within the bed. I had found the spell of the picture in an absolute life-likeliness of expression, which, at first startling, finally confounded, subdued, and appalled me... [from 'The Oval Portrait' by EAP]

No comments: