Tuesday, September 2, 2008

59 Days & Counting...

Where does the time go? We are officially under two months before the big day (and less before our annual Halloween/Birthday party). 59 days and counting! There is so much to do before then, but I actually feel like we have a pretty good handle on things at this point - my only concern being the state of the poems and invites. The poem is done, and its construction is a simple matter that only requires the most basic of supplies - thirty+ of them can be whipped out in an afternoon. The invite, on the other hand, hasn't even been conceived yet, much less constructed. There's a lot to do on that front, but, as always, I have complete confidence in my wife and know that they will be done on time and look amazing as usual.

Finally some good news on the graveyard fence (a picture of the old fence can be seen above - held together by electrical and duct tape - not one nail or screw used!) I sent a load of 2x4's to Iowa with my in-laws a week ago, and over the Labor Day holiday I was able to convince my father-in-law to halve them for me, sharpen one end into a point, and drill a hole into the opposite end for which to run a length of black chain through. There are 19 posts total (I may attempt to make more if I can find any scrap 1x2's laying around a nearby construction site), and there is not much left to do with them before they are ready to go. I have to give each a coat of black spray paint - I also am considering giving each a coat of polyurethane to protect them from the elements - drill a small hole into the top of each one for a spindle (which I still have to buy), and attach said spindles, which obviously can't be done until the posts have been pounded into the ground. I'm relieved that this part of the process is done, so now I can move on to other things.

One final note. My lovely wife surprised me this weekend with a 6-pack of Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale, and it was like drinking Halloween from a bottle! I was actually kind of amazed that it is an Anheuser-Busch product, to be honest. The initial taste is very subtle, and it's not until the aftertaste hits that you really notice the pumpkin-y flavor (the spices, I assume, would be cinnamon and maybe nutmeg?) I don't care for very over-powering brews that hit you over the head with their taste, so this was just right for my peculiar palate. I would recommend it to anyone, even knowing it's an AB product - king of the bland beers. Hopefully, as the weeks progress, I will get to sample a wider variety of seasonal beers and ales and maybe find one that can match up to Jack's Pumpkin Spice.

No comments: