Friday, September 26, 2008

Progress Report

Well it's been awhile since I've had any kind of Halloween home-haunt progress report here, so I figured I'd better spill about what I've been up to lately. The main thing is that the invites are finally finished and are ready to be shipped out with our annual Halloween poem on Monday or Tuesday (after all the envelopes are addressed and stamped, of course...) Work on the inside of the house has kind of screeched to a halt. The reason for this is that my wife runs a daycare out of our home, so many of the decorations that aren't exactly 'kid friendly' are still boxed up.

On the outside of our home, work will begin on setting up the new cemetery fence this weekend. I still need to get some kind of topper for the fence-posts, finials or skulls or something, and attach them and paint them, but otherwise that project is a go. I kept my hay bail from last year, so I will dig that out of the shed, and, under light of the moon, sneak off across the field and cut a bunch of stalks out of the farmer's cornfield (now if that kind of mischief isn't in the true spirit of Halloween, I don't know what is!)

After much deliberation, I have finally decided upon a plan for the actual haunt. In year's past, I've always done something in my crawlspace in our basement. However, since that is now jam-packed with stuff that no longer resides upstairs (read: daycare) there is no room to do that this year. I have always wanted to do a garage haunt. The trouble is, there is only me, myself, and I to operate it come Halloween night. So it took a lot of thinking to devise a haunt that is pretty much self sufficient. Even though it will be quite small, it will require a lot of work out in the garage. I have a feeling there will be some late nights over the next three weeks...

In other news, we had a patio poured at the bottom of our deck. If the weather cooperates, we'd like to move some of our party outside this year. We've been very lucky in years past, and really have only had to battle with extreme cold some years and gusting wind in others. We have yet to be rained on (or snowed upon!) but I'm knocking on wood as I type this. It looks to be a busy weekend - I still have to piece together my costume and get that ready to roll. I haven't even had time to figure out just how I'm going to pull it off, but I'm hoping inspiration will strike as I get into full Halloween mode. My beautiful wife won't tell me what she is planning on being for the party! I have no idea - and I love it!

Have you figured out what you're going to be for Halloween this year?

What? You know there are only 35 days left, right?

No comments: