Thursday, September 4, 2008

One Man's Trash...

Is another man's treasure! Driving to work the other morning on trash pick-up day, I happened to notice someone had thrown out a hunk of pink foam core. An idea for a new tombstone flashed through my head! Unfortunately, I didn't see the foam core until after I had passed, and, as I was running late for work, I resigned myself to missing a great home haunt opportunity.

Imagine my surprise and delight when, on coming around the corner on my way back from work I should happen to see the exact same piece of foam core out in the street! Not letting another opportunity pass me by (or me passing by it, rather) I stopped the car and picked up my future gravestone. The foam core was broken in one corner, but I think that will add to the overall effect, and I'm looking forward to digging out my Dremel and getting to work.

Also on the same day I was on a walk over my lunch break at work and happened to spy a length of one-inch thick rope sticking out of someone's garbage can. Thinking I had found another great Halloween prop, I started pulling on the rope - ready to wind it around my shoulder and carry it home. Little did I know that this guy was throwing away about a hundred feet of rope. After about the first ten feet I opened up the lid to the garbage can and saw how much rope was left to come. After a quick glance around the neighborhood to see if anyone spied my folly, I hurried on back to work.

Personally, I think that found items can make the best Halloween props, and I'm always on the lookout for anything that can be made into tombstones, graveyard signs, or anything else Halloween related. As the saying goes: "One man's trash is another man's treasure!"

No comments: