Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Into The Shadows

While chatting it up with Tim Burton about his exhibit at the LA County Museum of Art, The Wrap managed to sneak in a couple of Q&A's about his upcoming DARK SHADOWS, which began production in London at the beginning of May. Here's what the mercurial director had to say:

"It's been hard to kind of come here because I'm just starting, and it's a weird tone and it's a lot of actors and, you know, we're not starting with the simple stuff; we're sort of getting right in there. You like to kind of sneak up on it a little bit, but this one we just kind of slammed right into it."

Will it have a soap opera tone?
"Yes, I don't know. I'm early into it because it's a funny tone, and that's part of what the vibe of the show is, and there's something about it that we want to get. But when you look at it, it's pretty bad. I'm hoping that it will be - it's early days, let's put it - I'm very intrigued by the tone. It's a real ethereal tone we're trying to go for and I don't know yet."

Will it be filmed in 3D? "I have no plans for that. I loved doing ALICE in 3D. FRANKENWEENIE, gonna do that in 3D. There's people like, 'Everything's gonna be in 3D or 'I hate 3D!' I think people should have a choice. I don't think it should be forced on anybody. At the same time, it's great, some of it. It's like 'Yes or no!? 3D! Yes or no?!' It's like, well, you know, come on, whatever, some yes, some no."

Tim Burton is directing from a script by Seth Grahame-Smith, which itself is based on the series created by Dan Curtis. The stellar cast includes Johnny Depp (natch), Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, Jackie Earle Haley, Eva Green, Bella Heathcote, Lee Miller, Chloe Moretz and Gulliver McGrath, and is scheduled to hit theaters on May 11, 2012 from Warner Brothers Studios.

No comments: