Thursday, October 20, 2011

Five & Dime

Picked up this beauty of a coffee mug a couple of weeks ago. I love the simple design of it and the perfect way it fits in my hand. An old-school type of cup, I think the thing I like best about it is the place where I purchased it. Our hometown variety store is a dead ringer for the drug store seen in the 1988 slasher flick: HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS. Haddonfield's little five and dime on main street was where the cool teens all worked (and hung out), and was about the only place in town that actually sold Halloween merchandise - including boogeyman masks! - after the horrific incident ten years prior.

We live in a small midwestern town that's a lot like that doomed, mythical town from the movie in most respects (except for the bloody mayhem that ensues about every ten years or so), and every time I go in to our little store I'm always reminded of that scene where little Jamie Lloyd is trying on her clown costume, only to see her uncle Michael standing in the mirror behind her. I love how a basic, everyday location like a drug store is made menacing - how did The Shape get there in the middle of the day without being seen? Was he even there at all? Was he standing right behind me when I bought my coffee mug? I looked over my shoulder a few times when buying it, making sure the boogeyman wasn't stalking me. Yeah, I'm a dork that way...

No comments: